Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Up Down & All Around

Saturday we got rained out and Alex had an unexpected day off.  I opted not to try the indoor again, until I felt like he'd had a chance to "reboot."  Sunday we were back at it again.  All was calm starting to the right until about 5-10 minute into his trot he threw out a series of bucks.  This was interesting since normally he waits for the canter to throw spice things up.  If I thought it was a one time thing, I was in for a rude awakening as he had several more "episodes" in store for me.  All of this was brought on by who knows what, bugs, activity outside the arena, near slips or getting almost to the point of submission... take your pick!  For his finale he spent a brief moment standing on his hind legs.  Unfortunately for him he looked more like a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum than a menacing beast.  And we hadn't even gone left yet!  Finally he gave up and did what I asked, so I let him go to the left.  This direction was not nearly as action packed, but he did throw a few bucks in just for good measure, before finally giving in or getting bored or whatever.  Finally we went back to the mounting block and practiced standing while I put weight in the stirrup which he tolerated fairly well.

Then I went out to see Gryff and give him a bath.  He decided that he felt REALLY good and proceeded to demonstrate that by running all over his paddocks and generally being full of himself.  I think most of this was to get my attention... he is the funniest horse.  I'm glad he feels good, because his cuts still look awful to me, better but still awful.  Hopefully next week I can get on him and at least start walking.

Today, the arena was full of water on both ends so the only choice was to lunge Alex in the middle.  We started out by walking around through all the puddles, which he did without complaint even stopping and pawing like he wanted to roll in one... goofball.  Again we started to the right, but this time, it took 15 minutes for the bucks to come, they were less frequent, less intense and resolved much faster.  More of the same to the left AND he even cantered through a puddle!  Dare I say it?  Could it be progress?  We will see what tomorrow brings, as it will be our last before I have to travel up north to Minnesota for 4 days.  It's an inopportune time in this battle I am fighting for supremacy, for me to be gone, but it can't be helped.  I will miss my big man though, it will be the first time I've gone out of town since he arrived :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment