Monday, August 27, 2012

Moving right along

Alex and I have had a productive few days.  Overall, I think he is getting more confident in his new role and starting to understand what I am asking.  He is really taking to the stretching and is very enthusiastic about it when he decides to stretch!

Sunday night my mom was in town, so she came out to watch us work.  Alex treated me to stretching at various intervals right from the start, which was a big first.  We made some nice circles and even a serpentine (he was a little confused about that one).  There was even stretching at the canter to the right!  It was more canter than gallop for once :-)  But of course, you know how it goes, the young ones always have to throw you at least one curve ball, just to see if you're paying attention.  So the canter to left was more buck than canter or gallop.  I don't know what got into him, but I was definitely treated to a few small cracks of the back and nearly lost my stirrup which is always delightful :-/  At any rate, after a few tries, we managed to get a buck-free fairly steady canter/gallop before calling it a night.  I can't believe how fast he is catching on to stretching, I am such a proud mommy!

Tonight we didn't work, because Alex got new shoes... and not just your average shoes, but big boy shoes!  His first set of clips... another step in making the transition.

Another piece of good news is that it looks like Gryff can finally go back to work, his wounds are nearly healed, so he will start back lunging in side-reins this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment